Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I wanna be licensed...

Since I've been a kid I've wanted to have my art licensed, even though I didn't know exactly what that meant at the time. Even after completing 4 years in college and earning my degree I had never heard the term! All I knew was that I wanted to see my art "out there", but I was completely clueless on what it would take to make that happen.

Fast forward 100 or so years to the present day. I've been spending a lot of time researching art licensing: what companies look for, how to build a collection, developing a style, the bajillion different types of potential products etc. I've also been taking a few online classes to improve my technical skills in programs such as Adobe Illustrator. Lastly, I've re-started keeping a sketchbook, something I haven't done regularly in a couple years. Right now it's pure garbage: Lame doodles and random notes. But it's a new beginning, and sometimes that's the hardest part: just beginning.

Impatient Impulsive Me just wants to be able to whip out some great work, be discovered and start cashing the checks. But obviously that's not how the world works, so I'm trying to busy myself by collecting bits and pieces of inspiration (and archiving them on Pinterest), continuing to try to loosen up my rusty drawing skills, and trying to make steady progress into the mind-set of a creative designer and illustrator instead of spinning my wheels with a lot of wishful dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment