Sunday, April 7, 2013

No Pressure



Everyday I've been playing around with something a little different than the day before. I'm trying to fight the urge to create with purpose, and rather to create just to play. I'm proud of the fact that I've been messing around in my sketchbook a little each day, drawing and inking, stamping with hand-carved linoleum, and soon: watercolor. It's a never-ending quest to express those little creative whispers without feeling the pull to make something marketable... at least for now.

I'm trying to stop a little outside of my old "style" of doodling and drawing characters too. Ever feel like you've been drawing in the same fashion forever? My character's have always had the same googly eyes, the same flat features that I've been scrawling out for the past 300 years, and although I love them I want them to evolve. So sometimes while surfing I'll find other artists I like and study and literally COPY an image, just to feel what it's like to have a different sort of line flowing from my pencil or pen. It's sort of akin to trying on someone else's clothes: sometimes it feels uncomfortable and occasionally I'll find something that feels just right, and then I can meld and interpret it into my own drawings in the hope of making new discoveries and allowing for new outcomes. Sounds pretty fancy for someone who simply likes to draw, but it's true, at least for me.

Anyhoo, this morning I carved this little flower stamp. It's interesting to see the result once the carving is complete... it's not ever entirely what I expect (which is part of the fun). I'll definitely be experimenting with stamp carving, practicing my precision and maybe trying to be a little more intricate. Again I'll fight that urge of perfection and simply play for the pleasure of making my mark(s) on paper.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope it's springlike and sunny where you are (still waiting here in Michigan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment